Thursday, January 31, 2013

a treat from the lbj basement

Tonight the LBJ Presidential Library hosted the Tom Johnson Lectureship. Ambassador Andrew Young was the guest of honor. He is perhaps best known for working with Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. during the Civil Rights movement. Young was a key strategist and negotiator in the campaigns in Birmingham and Selma that resulted in the passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Voting Rights Act of 1965. I took this photo after the program was over, but before dinner began. Mr. Young needed a place to sit down and I pulled him up a chair. I feel the best pictures of the night were while he was resting his feet and talking to the dinner guest. Initially this was in color, but because of the reflection of the red carpet I feel black and white does the photo better. It was truly a great night and I’m glad I was there to photograph it (even though I’m still editing in the basement).

Andrew Young - LBJ Presidential Library - January 31, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment