Friday, January 11, 2013

photog friday: man ray

This was Kyle's idea and I like it a lot. Photog Friday starts today. Every Friday, I will post about a photographer that has inspired me, along with a photo of mine that was influenced by their work.

Man Ray. If you ever forget who he is, just remember Man Ray, X-Ray. Some of his early work on light-sensitive paper looks like an x-ray, or "rayograms," as he called them. Literally an American in Paris, he was a significant contributor of the Dada and Surrealist movements in the 1920s moving forward. Here is a link to some of his work.

This is one of the first pictures I ever took. It was shortly after my dad taught me how to use a film camera. I went off experimenting, forcing my sister to model for me. I love the ghostly affect the over exposure gives to her face. It's not quite as Surreal as some of Man Ray's photos, but it does remind me of one of his photograms, where there is a very small latitude for the exposure, accentuating the contrast between white and black, leaving very little room for gray area.

Lindz - El Paso, Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment